Wednesday, January 17, 2007

lightening up tonight - some sweetness 4 U

I've been focusing on politics and global warming and all kinds of fairly intense issues for the past few days and things are getting a little too intense. I really, really need to lighten up. So here goes:


FUN things about today:

  • Lucky Country Soft Aussie Licorice Red Gourmet OK, I really bought this the other day, but it is so very yummy and was the original item that spurred this list.
  • Bendicks Bittermints "The ORIGINAL and MOST FAMOUS BENDICKS MINT, THE CONNOISSEUR'S FAVOURITE" ENROBED in CHOCOLATE CONTAINING: 95% COCOA SOLIDS This is actually a purchase in an attempt to cut down on my sugar intake. The theory goes like this: These are oh so very pepperminty that tiny bites make this last for a very long and satisfying time. So you only need one! So far so good. (One a night, not one an hour, mind you.)
  • Milky (A japanese milk candy. Ingredients: millet jelly, vegetable oil, salt, soy lecithen, powdered milk.) oh yeah, and this site is in japanese - and oh so very kawaii. I've loved these since I was about 8. When I was a kid the highpoint of train travel in Japan was getting to choose candy for the trip at the train station. Milky usually made the list because these are hard caramel-like candies and last a really long time.
  • The Glory of Gershwin featuring Larry Adler. Oleta Adams, Kate Bush, Cher, Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Jon Bon Jovi, Meat Loaf, Sinead O'Connor, Robert Palmer, Courtney Pine, Carly Simon, Lisa Stanfsfield, Sting and introducing Issy Van Randwyck. This was actually a part of my trip to the library today (see below, and even before that, a radio show, see even below-er.)
  • PG Tips DCaf From the box:"Many people wish to include only a moderate amount of caffeine in their diet. Drinking PG Decaf tea is a great way to help you do this whilst enjoying a fantastic tasting cuppa!" There is a slightly anglophile tilt to this list, I've noticed. See, I'm cutting the caffeine too! Actually I was very excited when I saw this for sale, I have had the full-on-caffeinated version of pg tips but can only have tea really early in the day or I am up all night long. 'Dcaf' is definitely the way to go if you simply must have your 'cuppa.'
  • Getting new (old) books from Amazon in the mail today:

    • Zingerman's guide to good eating.
    • The Tenko Club by Elizabeth Noble
    • A Guide to Library Research Methodology by Thomas Mann
    • Against All Enemies:Inside America's War on Terror by Richard A. Clarke (okay, this is not all sweetness and light, but I was still happy to get it.)


  • And walking over to the Mechanic's Institute library and checking these out:

    • The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke Edited and Translated by Stephen Mitchell
    • New Poems 1908 Rilke
    • New Poems 1907 Rilke
    • Gershwin Rediscovered II (CD)
    • American Landmarks (Aaron Copland Appalachian Spring, Roy Harris Symphony No. 3, Charles Ives Central Park in the Dark, Aaron Copland Clarinet Concerto) (CD)



Update 1: The Forum broadcast on KQED about George Gershwin which was really interesting & inspired some of my selections from the library today.

Yes, this is actually update number 2 if anyone is paying attention. I realized that I originally invested very little me in this post and had to put in a bit of commentary. Hope that is better. caio.

1 comment:

Stepherific said...

Hey, I want to borrow those Gershwin CD's. Great list! Top 100 extended.