Sunday, November 05, 2006

Today was a fun day! The San Francisco Bay region chapter of SLA hosted a visit to the Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center in Santa Rosa . Since my brother is such a huge fan and it was our birthday (no we are not twins, just one year apart) I decide to treat the whole crew! First off was a visit to the Archives and Research Center and a visit with the archivist. It was wonderful hearing about such an interesting job, she showed us a braille book with raised images and braille text, foreign translations from all over the world, the archival catalog, auction catalogs, boxes of letter, photo albums and more. One thing I liked was that she published a newsletter of reference questions and her answers for the museum staff and volunteers. I don't know if I could use that for our private law library, but it sure was interesting to see the kinds of questions and how comprehensive and amazing librarians (and archivists) are about answering questions. Yay for us! One of our best and most important skills. (That is why I believe we DO belong in the arena of creating content based on compiling all this research.)

Such fun. An ice rink, cozy warm puppy cafe (serving good food!) and a pretty great gift shop featuring all things Snoopy and Charlie Brown. We all decided to stay in Santa Rosa the night, so tomorrow my brother goes back to the ice rink with his family to participate in the Sunday morning parents and kids skate. It will be a hoot. I've got to go in search of Peets, but after I feed my caffeine addiction, I'll be raring to go.

I was a very irritating sister and auntie today, having received a new canon digital camera for my birthday. I absolutely was a kid with a new toy, and I can't wait to explore flickr and all the way cool things librarians and others are doing with digital images, blogs, wikis, flickr, etc. Of course, what does someone like me need with more ways to waste time???!

Had a party tonight at the hotel with cake and a few presents. I'm now a proud member of the Commonwealth Club in SF. I am so excited. More in my plan to re-create my AnnArbor Lifestyle. As outlined in a previous post.
So, in the hotel room, eating cake, taking pictures and..... there is nothing like watching and listening to my nieces play with their new peanuts baseball figurine set. The entire crew of peanuts characters with baseball accoutrements. (Bases, caps, bats, mitts, balls, etc., ) Pretend make-believe baseball with a six-year-old and a 4-year-old who have never played baseball in their lives. But heck, that is the toy they wanted! Nothing to it, they can handle imaginary worlds of princesses, pirates, fluffy dogs, stuffed animals of all breeds, shapes, colors and sizes - seamlessly - what's a little Linus, Lucy, Snoopy, Woodstock, Charlie Brown and baseball thrown in?

What a fun day! It made me realize I really really really need to get out more, and it doesn't have to be anything huge - a small museum, and new town, etc. I find it all interesting and stimulating.

However, it is now past 1 am and I must get some sleep - or even Peet's won't be able to rescue me in the morning.

No comments: