Saturday, March 10, 2007

saturday - a most excellent breakfast

Today is Saturday. One day before the new time change (this bothers me in the way mindless irksome new laws that are justified to save money and do no such thing are irritating.) Though Jon Stewart had a hilarious sketch on the Daily Show about the impending Time Change Disaster which made me laugh. Since I am irritated by this new sped up change, I refuse to pay attention to it. In fact, I am going to ignore any devices that refuse to change and be like those irritating people who travel to different time zones and say "It's 3 am for me now! I should be tired!"

Do I sound grouchy? I must be.

However, I did have the best breakfast ever - this morning. I woke up at about 9:30 and longed for a diner-ish experience, preferably at the Rockridge Cafe. We went, and surprisingly there was no wait.
I like the Rockridge Cafe because it has REAL maple syrup, and real honest-to-god butter. I always get some form of pancake/waffle regardless of anything else I order, just because I want to support a restaurant that cares enough to serve REAL MAPLE SYRUP. Anyway, alongside my whole-wheat waffle (excellent) I ordered some concoction that was eggs scrambled with chorizo sausage, with cheese, stacked on some corn (tostadas? - they were hard) and then on top had a generous dollop of sour cream and lots of seasoned guacamole sauce. OMIGOD were they good. So good that I ate most of it. (Well, with a waffle and a meal, it was plenty.)Oh wait! I found the official description:
~ Tortillas Piladas con Guacamole y Huevos 9.25 ~

We scramble chorizo sausage in 2 eggs with green onions, Monterey Jack cheese, and Miguel’s homemade avocado tomatillo sauce. We cover a tostada tortilla with the scrambled egg mixture, and layer another tortilla and eggs atop. On the stacked tortillas we pour more of the sauce, sprinkle with cheese, and top with a dollop of sour cream. Served cut in wedges
However, mine was not cut in wedges. But still yummy as can be. Not to mention they brew a fine cup of coffee and serve it in a nice thick white diner kinda cup. However the white sugar on the table, is, frankly, not so good. Will have to bring some rapadura in to make it truly scrumptious and a little more healthy.

From there we went to the toy store on 4th street in Berkeley and bought a few of the Japanese "re-ment" miniature boxes of Japanese products. (Think doll-house tiny.) Cooking supplies, stationery supplies, Japanese food, all rendered in exquisite detail and unbelievable care for functionality. (The teeny tiney pencils don't write but they fit in the pencil case, and the notebooks all have real paper, sewn spines and the graphs and styling just like the originals.) They are from a company called re-ment and are very addictive to collect because you do not know which set of 10 different varieties you might get when you buy a box in that series. (The sushi series, the school supply series, etc.) I bought 6 boxes, and got a Japanese pencil case, pencils, ruler, erasers, pen, notebook and pencil sharpener in one box. It was perfect, because when I lived in Japan I used to collect pencil boxes and erasers. (Yes, I did.)

Here's the US Website for re-ment with scary hyper-blonds. And here is the Japanese Website. This new find is not my own however, I have to thank one of my staff - who gifted me with 2 boxes last week.

Now I am reading blogs, thinking thoughts about legal research, re-reading some of my favorite Liaden books for the 3rd or 4th time, and generally just relaxing the day away.

Hope your Saturday was as nice as mine was. I know your breakfast probably wasn't. If you come visit me, I'll take you to Rockridge Cafe and maybe the Tortillas Piladas con Guacamole y Huevos will be on the menu.

No comments: